08 August 2013

The Recorded History of A Girl



Source: www.amazon.com
Publication Date: July 31, 2013
Imagine a life unraveled through a series of letters.

That is exactly how one can live vicariously through R’s fabulous but mostly dramatic life. The heroine of the novel The Recorded History of a Girl is both mysterious and open as she shares her thoughts to the many people she meets along the way. Set against the backdrop of some of the world’s most glamorous cities and islands, R finds herself exploring the nuanced meanings of love, friendship, motherhood, bourgeois guilt and everything else that happens in between

There is a letter for everyone in this book. It is both hilarious, sarcastic, but most of all it is at once touching and genial. Enter R’s world and see how a pen and paper can do to create a lifetime.

Author:
Celine R. Lopez is a columnist for The Philippine Star. A former fashion editor and creative director of the paper’s Ystyle design section, she has now moved on to producing movies for European production houses. Her first film Metro Manila won the Sundance award for World Cinema Audience Award for Dramatic Film. She is currently working on her second film. She is also the head designer for the jewelry line Fah/Lux.

She splits her time between Manila, London and California. She lives with her two dogs, Milo and Caligula. Her first book From Coffee to Cocktails was nominated for the National Book Awards for essays.




My Take:
First of all, I downloaded this book for free. Yes, it's legally free on Amazon. I got it for my iPad by simply downloading the Kindle app and syncing it with my Amazon account. 
The very reason that I'm interested in this book is the author. Celine R. Lopez wrote the column From Coffee to Cocktails for the Philippine Star years ago. I am not quite sure if it is still being published today. I read that column everyday and proceeded to wait for Friday because I'd get my fill of her anecdotes then. I was only a teenager and had no idea that she was an IT girl. I just like her easygoing writing style and sophisticated life. I was fangirling over her. I even cut up some of my most loved articles and hid it away in a shoebox.
Though I am only 75% through reading the book, I genuinely adore it. I love that it showcases the various letters written by R to the numerous people in her life. It is full of remarkable quotations which I shall share with you soon. It is a voyeuristic view into the life of a society girl. Everybody thinks that they're all made of gold and glitter but really they are just ordinary people who got lucky early on in life. R, the main character, faced crises and tribulations, too. It is well-written and I believe that Celine, the author, has outdone herself!

No comments :

Post a Comment